I Failed At My Business In 2017
I have no shame (and no filter sometimes) and will completely admit that this past year I did very close to absolutely nothing related to my business. I only worked with two clients until the end of April. No webinars, no promotions, no newsletters or solo mailers. NOTHING. Part of me felt guilty for neglecting something I had worked so hard on in 2015/2016. But I just couldn’t get myself to really dig in to any aspect of running a business.
When you put so much of your focus on one aspect of your life (making money and running a successful business) you may lose sight of everything else. For a few seconds I wanted to call myself a failure for letting this slip, but was quick to smile instead. In 2016 all of my new friends were “internet friends” people that I could sit for hours with in front of my computer masterminding away. But no one that I could invite to my birthday party, no one that could come over, or invite me to a Shabbat dinner.
In 2017 no matter how often I wrote in my calendar that I will spend a few hours writing or planning for my business I was always quick to accept a last minute invitation to go hang out with a friend or attend a dinner party.
*****This is the important part of what I want to share with you*****
Every woman I interviewed in 2016 (there were A LOT) felt completely overwhelmed. The core of why they wanted to start their own business was so they could have the freedom to spend more time with the people they loved, because it brought them JOY, because LOVE and JOY is what we all really want. In reality they were exhausted from working so hard and spent less time DOING what they loved outside of their business. They believed money was the magic pill that would solve everything. As a result they kept spinning their tires and got nowhere.
I did the reverse and put my attention on LOVE and JOY
- I earn more money now than I ever have before.
- I have more friends now than I ever had before (in-person friends).
- I live in a beautiful apartment, 1 minute from the Mediterranean sea.
- I am more grateful than I ever have been before.
- I am happier than I ever have been before.
- I LOVE more than I ever have before.
- I FEEL JOY more often than I ever have before.
- I am more EXCITED and PUMPED UP to work on my business from a place of LOVE and JOY than ever before.
Don’t underestimate the importance of establishing a solid foundation in your life.
- Meaning taking care of your emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual well being.
- Having friends
- Having family ties (family by choice is family too)
- Creating a stable financial situation (I ditched credit cards this year – more on that amazingness later)
If you want to grow in any area of your life you need to be stable to do it.
Before you go making those- “I want to lose 20lbs, so I can finally be skinny” resolutions, take a look at where you stand now.
Do you have a solid foundation to build on this year?
From the areas I just mentioned which ones need more love and attention? Maybe you need to schedule a coffee date with an old friend, maybe you need to pull in the reigns on your spending. Or better yet focus on the relationship you have with yourself (it’s the best one!!!!).
Resolutions can be made at anytime. So no need to rush this process.
Let me know which areas you decided need a little extra TLC and attention to help set up your solid foundation for 2018.